Monday, November 4, 2019

Post #1: An All Saints Sunday Reflection (Really? ALL of them?)

This is it! I set it up, finally. I think I had a blog, once, way back. Maybe I set one up and didn't use it that often. But it's been so long and I've switched over to so many other devices over the years, and I'm sure I've lost all my logins. It's probably gone the way of MySpace or my Match.com profile (now that I'm married)... Oh well, this time it's for real. I can feel it.


What should I write about? It's hard to imagine that I have something so important to say that I should take up even more space on the ever-expanding interwebs. But I guess the world could use another positive and quasi-rational voice in the mix, just for the sake of balance, so here goes... gird yourself.

All Saints Sunday. So many ways to reflect on this important and poignant celebration in the rhythm of the church. Rather than struggling to give an historical overview (from a periodical) or longer-form story (from a colleague), I want to share a short reflection about how we got to this point and where we go from here, how this all relates to the church's central mission to participate in God's creative and redemptive work in the world.

Those first followers of Jesus didn’t keep the good news to themselves. They brought it with them out of Jerusalem to a hurting world. And it spread out across history. I guess it would be tough to dispute this statement: without them (i.e. grandma or uncle or sister, etc.), we wouldn’t be here. On this All Saints, we remember those who paved the way for us, the “cloud of witnesses” who shared with us the story of God’s love and justice, and lived it out on our behalf. How are we living into the story of God’s redemption for future generations? How are sharing this reality with our neighbors, around the 'hood and beyond?

I've been remembering my mom (RaeAnn), 2 Uncles Gary, Gordy, and Aunt Gloria. Amidst the mixed smiles and tears, I think I can feel a growing sense of gratitude for the faith they've passed on to me and how I'm running with it these days.

Hey, it actually feels kind of good to have my own little slice of the internet to share my story, thoughts and feelings. I hope you'll find it worthwhile too. Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment