Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Photo Exercise

For this seminary course exercise, I was encouraged to set a timer for 2 hours and repeat it throughout the day. Each time the timer went off, I snapped a picture of something nearby that caught my attention, something creative or beautiful, a place where God's creative action seemed to reveal itself. It was a full day, and at the end of it I had about 7 pictures from which to choose. I could pick no more than 3 photos, and I could use no more than 3 words to describe each choice. Here is what I finally settled into (read further down for my reflection)...



I chose to keep track of God’s surrounding creative work on Wednesday, one of my busier days. In all of the various places and spaces I find myself, I wanted to build in regular time to pause, take a look around and reach for something deeper, something Divine. I am in many different locales throughout my day. And in subtle ways, every single one of them reveals God’s gracious work in the world. To me, struggling to hold onto this perspective is worth it...

Early. My day usually starts with some coffee and greeting the kids as they wake up and come out of their rooms. On this particular day, our 9-yr old daughter had already gotten herself ready for the day, and was sitting at the dining room table as she worked on her math homework. She doesn’t always like to do her worksheets, and there is push-back at times when I "encourage" her to get it done. But there she was… digging in, taking initiative and demonstrating a sense of responsibility. I snapped this photo because I felt inspired by her determination; she and I both are learning new information, gaining new skills and discovering things about ourselves and how we work/study/perform best. Though it’s still the early stages and we have a long way to go, we are finding value in the journey, even in the unpleasant times. I feel supported and loved by a God who won't let me take the easy way out, and continually calls me to dig in, take initiative and own what I can in order to be a part of God's redemption and restoration.

Middle. As soon as the bus takes the kids away to school, I drive up to Forest Lake, MN (about a 20 minute drive from Shoreview) and start my work day at Faith Lutheran. The history of the community is rich and the current building boasts wonderful facilities. It is an exciting place to access as we do ministry together. One of the most beautiful things about Faith’s building is the many stained glass features and accents throughout the campus, relevant remnants of another era. As my alarm “pinged” me in the midday, I was walking past a lovely floral and dove scene (you can see another exquisite example (cross and colorful waves) in the reflection to the right of the focal-piece). I was reminded how we grow and blossom together in the generative presence of God’s Spirit. We stand in the middle of a powerful, creative force, surrounded by the wind of the Holy Spirit’s mission to make us more and more like Jesus. In that moment, I felt as though I was standing in the fertile soil of history, personal experience, passionate and skillful action, and I could not fight the sense of gratitude that swept over me.

Late. After getting home, tidying up, taking some time to myself and receiving the kids off the bus, we head to Incarnation Lutheran for some dinner and children & youth programming. Another church with whom I am employed. Yet another context in which to explore, experience and be exposed to God’s creative activity. The pumpkins you see in the picture were carved by students during a High School Ministry (HSM) activity. Scattered in the background and all around the frame of the picture, you can see bits and pieces of their hospitable environment, designed to promote a response to God’s invitation to co-creatorship. These students, at the end of a busy and in many cases stressful day, decided to show up to youth group and stay late so they could be together in a grace-filled space.

Early, middle, late, God’s redemptive and creative work envelops me as I walk through each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment